Osteopathy and Prostate Health
This article was originally published by OsteopathicHealingHands.com.
Are you experiencing pain or discomfort with urination, having bowel movements, or intercourse? Is it affecting your sex life? Have you tried all means of treatment but have not been able to obtain relief? Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), the all-natural alternative, may be the answer for you.
Studies have shown:
- OMT is effective in treating patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS)
The prostate gland helps in making semen and lies below the bladder and around the urethra (tube carrying urine out of the body) in men. Inflammation of the prostate gland is known as prostatitis. The enlarged prostate gland presses against the urethra, causing infection, pain and urinary problems. When symptoms last for more than three months, the condition is called chronic prostatitis, and usually affects men between 30 to 50 years of age.
The cause is not clear but may include:
- Persistent bacterial infection
- Problems with the nerves that supply the prostate
- An autoimmune condition of the prostate gland/li>
- Infection by an unidentified germ/li>
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
Common symptoms include the following:
- Pain and discomfort around the genitals, anus and/or lower back
- Pain while passing stool or urinating
- Frequent urination
- Urinary urgency
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder
- Recurrent urinary infections
- Difficulty achieving an erection
- Pain during and after ejaculation
The diagnosis of chronic prostatitis is made by a thorough history and physical exam. To rule out other causes of chronic prostatitis, your physician may order tests that include:
- Urine sample examination to detect infections
- Swab or urine test to identify sexually transmitted infection
- Ultrasound scan of your kidneys
- Blood test
Treatment of chronic prostatitis may include:
- Osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT)
- Antibiotics and/or other medications
- Stress management
- In rare cases, removal of the prostate (prostatectomy)
To learn more about Osteopathy, check out our Osteopathy blog.
Another way to pursue health is by taking CBD. You can find a good CBd brand on this Best 50 CBD Oil Brands Infographic.